Ever since I have bought my Recreational Vehicle, I had been arguing over whether to buy an RV GPS or keep tracking the trips with my Smartphone app. Let me first discuss the benefits of an RV GPS.
- RV GPS units are the gadget by many ardent RV travellers to find their way in unknown and unvisited places since they come loaded with maps of various regions with little or no subscription fee. You will hardly be stranded anywhere.
- RV GPSs are designed for a huge vehicle like an RV. Considering the weight and size of these vehicles the GPS will let you have complete information about right roads, repair shops, fuel refills, camping , parking, recreational activities, or restaurants.
- It will also show you the correct paths to follow, by following the RV permitted roads and bridges to avoid unwanted accidents, blockages or traffic tickets.
- You don’t require some elaborate setup on an RV GPS before you start using it.
- You have to spend money on this RV accessory.
- You have to keep the map database updated.
Now coming to an RV Phone app there are certain advantages as well as disadvantages Let me discuss both
- The first advantage is cutting down on the expenses. You don’t need to buy any special gadget. You regular Smartphone will works as the guide when you download and setup an RV app.
- The Smartphone come with limited display area. It may not fit the size or clarity requirements that you feel about display while driving a big RV.
- You have to depend on a third party app. If the company changes its payment terms or facilities, you may feel stuck. I have seen many apps that promise huge deals at the time of signup but later when you get accustomed to the app, they start demanding exorbitant charges for the same services.
- Since an app is not created for a special device like RV GPS it may have a different feel on different screen resolutions. It may not be supported by your device after some upgrade or version update.
- You may have to spend a good amount of time in setting up this app for the specifications of your RV.
So according to my experience, I trust the RV GPS ( especially the ones with backup camera) rather than the RV phone app due to the technicalities and the special needs of an RV. If I enjoy the luxury of travelling in a home like an RV, I don’t hesitate to spend some extra bucks on this handy device for me and my family’s comfort.
This has been a big debate ever since the radar detectors are available on the market and used by motorists to avoid tickets. I believe that anything that is restricted or constrained gets more attention than it may have generated otherwise. Adults too are like kids. If you tell a kid not to do a particular thing, he will definitely try the same thing when you are not around. Restriction generates curiosity.
In the case of Radar detectors, my argument for making it legal across the United States is the same. If we find that a technique that helps in saving our money and time and even if it is considered illegal, we will try to devise ways to get the immediate benefit by bending a law or regulation a bit. Bu we may end up causing danger to the people around us.
Radar detectors ( like the ones features in this article) are used by most drivers to get away with speeding in areas where there is no police presence. These devices are often illegally used by drivers to detect the presence of radar signals so that they can slow down just in time to avoid a traffic ticket.
Traffic rules are for the safety of the motorist and to manage the traffic on the busy traffic areas. Anyone who breaks the traffic rule is bound to pose a danger to other motorists as well t his own life. I have seen many young drivers who find enjoyment in breaking traffic rule and drive dangerously just to show off their risk-taking attitude.
To handle such nuisance creating individuals it becomes mandatory for the federal government to lay down the rules and regulations to manage traffic as well as save human lives. The Traffic police ensure that the drivers don’t abuse these laws. But that will not be possible by mere act of restricting use of radar detectors
I am of the view that the radar detectors can be a good way to regulate the indirectly if sanely used by the motorists. It does help the people to speed up a bit, to reach their workplaces or homes earlier. But excessive use of it and that too by some habitual traffic rule breakers and rash drivers may be dangerous.
I think that if the radar detectors are allowed legally in the United States, it will curb the illegal manufacturing and sale of these units. This industry is there flourishing, by giving it a legal signal, this can grow as a big industry. But the onus now lies on the educators, traffic department, and parents to teach the people especially young riders to drive safely rather so that don’t have to spend money on such devices.